1. Notabilia Written by a design and word-loving New Yorker living in Singapore, this blog charts her adventure to learn some history, be inspired by pretty things, meet creative people and make this island home for a while. Full of quirky discoveries like the recent post on beautiful bamboo bicycles.
2. I Love Bon Bons Brand spanking new, this launched a few days ago and has already had 3,000 hits. It’s the only blog out there written by a Singapore society gal and it’s fascinating, packed with musings and advice on her go-to places both at home and beyond (some $$$, some less so: she likes Domino’s pizza for instance and while she’s an aficionado on all things designer, she’s got a great eye for luxe yet non-designer bargains).
3. A Fashionable Leo A fashion blog nominated at this years Singapore blog awards, this is a great place to keep track of Asian as well as international designers in a very real way (it’s not too exhaustingly high fashion; this week for instance, she’s all about a new boutique in Haji Lane.). There’s also a healthy smattering of beauty news and updates.
4. The Little Teowchew As a questionable cook, this is a hugely inspiring blog written by a former non-cook who used to call instant noodles lunch. One day she had a culinary awakening and took ownership of what she ate…and documented it. All she aimed to do was cook a few dishes and cook them well. She’s now just written her first cookbook. Beautifully adapted recipes and well written, I check in here whenever I need a dose of inspiration.
5. I Eat I Shoot I Post An oldie but a goodie, started a few years ago by a local doctor here who loves eating hawker food and has a seriously discerning palette. If he rates it, chances are you will too. As well as detailing the best place to eat x, y and z (char kway teow, tau fu fa, you name it) he also explains what all the hawker dishes are. Great for newbies or hawker virgins who’ve just arrived as well as old hands. There’s also now an app that accompanies the blog that can pinpoint the exact locations of his recommended stalls on your phone, as well as tell you what they’re known for.
Blog definition courtesy of shutterstock